To wire a Lionel OTC to a Lionel FasTrack Operating Uncoupling Track (6-12054) you’ll need to make a few modifications to the track itself. For more basic info on wiring, programming and using the OTC itself, you can see all the details on it’s own page. We also have a separate wiring page for connecting the OTC to traditional O and O-27 operating tracks.
We want to isolate the uncoupling magnet from the accessory activation rails so that the uncoupling magnet will activate when you press “Aux 1″ and the accessories on “Aux 2.”
Step One: Remove the remote controller and wires.
Simply unplug the four wires (blue, black, red and green) which connect the manual remote controller to the OTC from the circuitry on the underside of the track. You can save this wire for future use in this conversion if desired, or replace it with new wire.
Step Two: Isolate the Magnet Coil
The coil comes prewired to one outside rail and one activation rail.
- Cut the wire to the activation rail near the connection to the rail so you have a wire lead to work with. (The wire to the rail remains intact.)
- Remove the insulation and the thin protective coating from the end of the wire. The plastic insulation will slide off easily. Gently remove the remainder of the coating with a hobby knife.
- Solder a new wire onto this lead. That wire should be long enough to reach the OTC. We will cover that connection shortly.
- Apply heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to insulate the new wire connection.
Step Three: Wire the Rails
Next we need to attach wires to the two sets of operating rails. You can save yourself some soldering by reusing the old wiring harness here. If you do use new wires, or if you splice longer wires onto the old control wires, remember to solder and insulate them properly as we did with the magnet control.
Note that the rails are connected in pairs by bus plates under the track, so only one wire connection to each pair is needed and it can be made at any of the contact points.
- Connect one wire to the pair of rails to the left of the magnet coil.
- Connect a second wire to the pair of rails to the right of the magnet coil.
- Both of these wires will be connected to the OTC on the other end – we’ll cover that in the next step.
Step Four: Connect the Track to the OTC
We now have three wires leading from the track base back to our OTC: one for the uncoupling magnet and one for each of the accessory rail pairs. To finish the installation, connect the wires as follows:
- Connect the No. 1 position to one set of Accessory Activation Rails.
- Connect the No. 2 position to the Uncoupling Magnet.
- Connect the No. 3 position to the second set of Accessory Activation Rails.
- Connect the No. 4 position to “AC Hot” from your accessory power supply. Note that we are not using AC Ground as with most other applications!
To review all of this, follow along again with this video: [youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjf3mn6-Uo]